Margao: In a significant operation led by Shri Nitin P. Purushan, Assistant Controller, Legal Metrology, South Zone-I, Margao, Goa, along with a dedicated team of inspectors, the Department of Legal Metrology conducted a massive drive against a distributor and super stockiest of a well-known masala brand. Goods worth Rs. 3 lakhs were seized under the provisions of the Legal Metrology Act 2009 and the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011.
The raid was carried out under the guidance of Arun N. Panchwadkar, Controller, Legal Metrology, Porvorim, Goa, and revealed that the packages in question bore the declaration “Non-standard size under Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011,” which is a clear violation of the Legal Metrology Act 2009.
Consumers are strongly advised to exercise caution when purchasing packaged commodities and ensure the presence of the following mandatory declarations on the product labels:
1) Manufacturer/packer/importer’s name and complete address.
2) Common generic name of the product.
3) Country of origin in the case of imported packages.
4) Month and year of manufacture/pre-packing date/import date.
5) Net quantity of the product.
6) Maximum retail price (inclusive of all taxes).
7) Name and complete contact details of the responsible person and office in case of consumer complaints.
8) Unit sale price.
The Department of Legal Metrology continues its relentless campaign, reminding consumers to stay vigilant and informed with the motto ‘JAGO GRAHAK JAGO’. This drive will persist until all violations under the provisions of the Legal Metrology Act 2009 and Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011, are rectified.